Making Sushi Look Like Koi Fish, How Absolutely Appropriate May 24, 2016 11:48 3 Comments
Sculpting food is an activity that most people tend to appreciate, and surprisingly it’s not extremely difficult. A recent video tutorial that we came upon goes through the steps of transforming sushi into very realistic Koi Fishes. The video originated from a Youtube channel titled Jun’s Kitchen, Jun is the man in the video.
Strip of wax paper
Spicy Cod Roe
Brown Sugar 10g
1. Cook Rice
2. Boil Water
3. Remove the head and devein the shrimp
4. Insert Toothpick into the back of the shrimp
5. Boil the shrimp in the sauce pan for a minute
6. Use a chef’s knife to slice the shrimp at its midpoint so it can be laid flat
7. Cut out a star like pattern in the radish and small slits cut around the side using a paring knife
8. Slice thin strips from the squid using a Nikiri knife
9. Crisscross cut the surface of the squid to give a scale texture
10. Use Chef’s Knife to cut the cucumber ⅔ of the way through vertically and one slice horizontally, then slice it into three parts.
11. Slice cucumber fins for the fish
12. Cut the cod roe and scoop out the eggs with a spoon
13. Make the sushi vinegar by adding vinegar, salt and brown sugar into a mixing bowl
14. Heat the mixture in a frying pan until the sugar melts, then add it back into the mixing bowl
15. Mix the sauce into the rice
16. Shape the rice then add cod roe and slices of seaweed on top of the rice
17. Use the slices of squid to shape the fin, body. Use the seaweed to form the eyes
18. Repeat the steps with the shrimp, then garnish your creation with the radish and cucumbers.
Jun and his American wife Rachel, are a video blogging couple who are based in Japan. Jun’s kitchen is their cooking show which frequently features their lovable orange house cat. For more great recipes, please check out his Youtube channel and you can also go to their blog.